The very first version of Kickserv's field service software was built in 2006. That's almost fourteen years ago! Cordless phones were all the rage in the home. The fax machine was the center of the office. Your technicians probably carried pagers. And your customer screen looked like this:
Look at that list of phone numbers. Alt? Fax? And what about the main number? Is that a mobile phone or a home phone? Who knows?
Things have changed since then. Most of your customers probably don't even use a landline anymore, and we bet that you haven't sent many faxes lately. So we're cleaning up our old phone numbers. That will allow us to do some pretty useful things, like send invoices by text, and maybe even have customers reply by text.
Here's what you need to know:
- None of your old phone numbers will go away. If you need to send a fax to that one customer who refuses to join the 21st century, knock yourself out. The interface will change somewhat, however, so read on.
- By default, the Mobile Phone will become the primary displayed number. Other numbers will be available, but collapsed unless you need them--for now. Have no fear, we'll make it easy for you to copy one of your other numbers into that field if you need to. You'll want to double-check that that number is correct, because we'll use it to send text messages to customers (who opt in to receive them) on your behalf.
- Eventually, those other phone numbers will become Additional Contacts. We created additional contacts to let you store as many names and numbers as you need. They're especially useful for your commercial customers, or for residences with more than one decision maker. At some point in the not-too-distant future, we'll move those extra numbers for you--but we strongly encourage you to do it yourself ahead of time, so you have them set up the way you like. (This is also a good time to check and clean up any number formatting, to make sure your customers' texts get sent to the right place.)
- Any custom reports will eventually need modifying. When those numbers get moved into a contact, they will no longer be available as Customer fields in a custom report. They will, however, be available as Contact fields. So if you use custom reports, you'll want to start thinking about how to tweak them.
- We're always available to help. If you have any questions at all about this process, our Support Team is standing by.
Thanks for helping us make Kickserv even better!